Saturday, December 13, 2008
True
The other night at dinner I overheard someone say "those who can, do; those who can't, teach'. Then, before I could respond, he turned to me and said, 'You are New York City school teacher. Be honest. What do you make?'. You wanna know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I can make a C- feel like a Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel like an insult. I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them apologize and mean it. I make kids write, write, write and then I make them read. I make them show all their work in math and hide it on their final drafts in English. I make kids from Brooklyn, the Bronx or Queens see what they have in common, even though they may not speak the same language or have the same color of skin. What do I make? I make a difference. How about you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Isn't it from the "Half-nelson" movie? True as hell!
This is very powerful and yes, true. I think I've found the author of these powerful words here,though there are around 2000 hits in Google. Anyway, the text has moved me to the bone - thank you. :)
true...wise...touching...:)
Post a Comment