Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mo' Better Blues

Ok, to make things clear I have to admit it. I'm the kid of late 90's and early 2000's. Music wise. I'm really fond of Punk/Hardcore type of stuff. And that years were great for this particular genre.

I don't know why I started listening to this kind of music but it still gives me creeps whenever I do it. My friends who were, and still are, listening to punk music probably had some influence on my choice, and so had MTV (yeah, back in the days it used to be a good music television). It has so much positive energy in it that once you start listening to this stuff, you can't really quit it. And live gigs are just great wellsprings of this energy. There are a lot of bands that I listen to, so I won't list them all but I like to show you some of the best stuff there is.

So, here we are. I'm Pixel and that's my Private Top 5 Collection:

1. Pennywise.
I've been listening to this band for 8 years now. It's a California Punk band that has been playing for almost 20 years, and they still release new albums that are still powerful and fresh. The song that I want to show you (Bro Hymn Tribute) was written by the late bass player of Pennywise, who comitted a suicide, for his friends that died in a car crash. After his death it was rewritten and now it's played as a tribute to him. If you are a NHL fan, you will probably recognize the chorus riff, as it is played whenever Anaheim Ducks score a goal. So now, "to our best friend, present, past and beyond":



2. Rage Against the Machine.
I heard them for the very first time when I was watching "the Matrix" in 1999 and I thought to myself "Gee, it's a really good stuff, what the hell is it?". So I did a little research and bought myself a CD. And that's the time when my rebellious behavior at school started as RATM opened my eyes to all the bad things that were going around our crazy planet with their powerful lyrics and kickass music. Even though the band doesn't exist anymore I really like to listen to them as their music is really one of a kind experience. Not convinced? Check it out! (some of the lyrics might not be suitable for youngsters ;)



3. Dog Eat Dog.
Hardcore icon from NYC from the 90's. My friend gave me their CD and I fell in love with them instantly :). And their live gig at Juwenalia in Poznan was one of the best concerts in my entire life. Here's my favorite song: (notice the red jersey the singer's wearing :) - the same he wore in Poznan :)



4. Guano Apes.
Yeah, one of the few bands with a girl as a lead singer that I really like. I saw them on MTV in 2000 and I still like to listen to them, even though the band doesn't exist anymore. For those who don't know, they're German ;).



5. Offspring.
It wouldn't be a good list without the Offspring on it :). I started to listen to them when I entered junior high, as I met some new friends that were pretty much into this stuff. I remember spending summer days, chilling and listening to them. So many memories. So many broken bottles :).



So this is pretty much it. I could list ten thousand more bands and songs but I don't want to bore you. If you like some of this stuff then you can always talk to me and I'll share some more with you :).

1 comment:

AgataL said...

Slightly off topic, but I need to say this: your English reads really well :)