Sunday, January 18, 2009
To teach is to learn twice
I've never thought that there would be a day that I'd be back to school. And certainly not as a teacher. Enrolling to our college, I knew that there will be some teaching practice but I didn't think about it too much as I knew it starts on the third year. Finally, the day came last month and as it was approaching I started feeling more and more fearful of what may come. As it turned out, there was nothing to be scared about. My first lesson took place in Primary School in the classroom full of second graders. At first I was pretty nervous that I would forget what to do in the middle of the lesson or the kids would get bored and start interrupting. Fortunately, as the lesson went on I relaxed a little bit, as kids were actually participating actively and it seemed they had fun. Actually, I have to admit that I didn't realize how smart that kids were, as I was judging them by their age. They acquired everything I told them very quickly, hence it was very nice for me to see that they could use what I taught them by the end of the lesson. What is most important, I felt satisfied with what I managed to do during the class and I was happy that the aims of the lesson were achieved. After consulting with my mentor I know that some of the methods weren't quite accurate, but hey, it was my first lesson. Now I know what to work on in my further practice and I feel encouraged to improve my teaching. Do I want to be a teacher? I don't really know. It seems that I have to complete my practice in other schools to get the broader perspective and then I'll decide. As for now, I'm preoccupied with many things like upcoming exams, writing my B.A thesis, working and so on, so there is not much time to think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment